Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Pak Daud

Recently I've been trying to routinely have breakfast every morning. Like they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. However, I'm not graced with breakfast at the house table every morning, so I take the alternative and stop by a local Malay restaurant for my usual roti telur and teh tarik.

While eating, my thoughts drifted (thoughts tend to drift when you're eating alone) on my childhood visits to Pak Daud, known for his delicious roti canai. Or that is how I remember it to be. Those were the times when mamaks didn't dot the entire geographical landscape. It was small shop close to school, where some kids with spare school money would go to hang out and get their roti canai fix. I was one of them. You couldn't really call me a regular since the meager allowance provided by my generous father didn't really allow frequent visits. However, the few visits I had were very pleasant and the memories of how good a simple roti canai could be kinda got cemented in my memory. Until now, I haven't had the opportunity to taste a roti canai to even rival Pak Daud's, but again, probably I did but the whole experience of saving up for roti canai in those days probably made me appreciate those particular visits even more. At that age, it was like a rare peek in to adulthood. Eating at a restaurant of your choice (my parents have never been there) and paying for your own food made me feel like a miniature adult.

These days kids probably prefer and are able to afford stuff like mcDonalds and try to avoid eating roti canai with their precious allowance. Times have changed I guess, and will continue to do so. I continue munching on my roti telur, losing my appetite half way through. Pushing it aside, I started to proceed to the counter to pay for my food when I found myself wondering, "what ever happened to Pak Daud?".


Blogging off....

10 comments:

lufiasism said...

where is this Pak Daud's Roti canai shop ? mebbe one day might want to visit and start making Roti Canai Reviews....:D

Mazlina said...

evryone's got their pak daud story i guess haha

to all pak dauds out there,we salute u *standing ovation*

Nadd said...

yeah my personal pak daud was the 'impian semalam' restaurant kat area bawah tu row as-syabab tuh..

teringat pekena roti canai dan teh ais pagi2 sabtu lepas pengakap.. btul ckp ko.. mcm org dewasa je rasa bila byr sendiri..

tu kot bermulanya istilah 'melepak' di dlm hidup aku.. hahaha

Friction said...

lufiasism > Sorry bro, Pak Daud shop has long been closed down... Not even sure if he is still making Roti Canai.

mashliner > yup, a number of Pak Dauds scattered around Malaysia, spreading warmth and joy.. haha...

nadd > Patut ah ko pro melepak, you started at a young age... haha... never had a chance to go to impian semalam, tapi aku tau ah katne.

*~ eLiEnZ 87 ~* said...

yohooo...
salam salam.
saje nk nyemak kat page ni,,
kikikiki

Khalisa Ridzuan said...

nasi lemak, roti canai teh tarik ah indahhhnya!

errr breakfast set O'Briens pun sodap! ;p

*Azreen* said...

roti canai has calories which u need to run 5km to burn off ok. maybe thats why kids dont eat roti canai now. (haha i love mcdonalds :p)


:)

Friction said...

elienz > Semak jgn tak semak...

lisa > set O'briens??? ape benda alah tu? (cara ko cakap)... haha..

Azreen > I doubt we would be eating anything if we had to run to burn it. Big Mac = 100km sprint. haha...

Anonymous said...

cik daud has passed away bro.. like a few years ago.. when u were at Japan.. sigh.. no more roti canai cik daud.. with the special dal mixxed with egg york.. fuhh.. Terbaik!

Zul Ilham said...

adoilar tension tgk gambor roti canai yang sebenar!!!!

I have my version of Pak Daud too..but it's Valentine Roti next to SRK Jalan Gurney 2 near Menara Celcom at Jalan Semarak...

Maybe it's still there...kui2...

(missing Malaysian foods!!!!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails