Saturday, January 22, 2005

Japanese Driving... Read on you Initial D wannabe`s!

Japanese drivers are among the best in the world... Believe me... they are...
The mangled streets of George Town or the seemingly complex roads of Kuala Lumpur would not even be a near challenge for these elites...

My host father here in Japan, is one of those people that always in his own nature to be kind, gentle and collected. I mean, this is a guy who I have never seen angry or even lifted the tone of voice since I`ve known him even in situations when he should. I`ve always assumed that he was one of those drivers that were overly cautious and took his time on the road.

Today I was wrong.

Today I went to Awaji Shima, with my host family. Me and their son Koji in the back, and my host parents in the front. Well in case your wondering, Awaji Shima is an Island on the south banks of Kobe which is accessable by one of the longest extended brigdes in the world (a good piece of information there. I guess My blog can have some decent stuff once in awhile.. hahaha). Mainly, the they have highways here but unfortunately most parts of the island are covered by amazingly narrow, intricate maze of roads that can`t barely even fit a car well and suprsingly, damn well 2 way street!

And here he was, my host father, zooming the streets like it was some highway. Taking the narrow, near to zero visibility corners like a pro, fast, tight and close, without beading a sweat (Initial D style). Don`t mind the deathly steep ravine on my right I constantly reminded my self. And don`t even remind me how the he handled incoming traffic. The cars were so close that I swear I could feel the incoming driver`s breathing on my face, and my host father didn`t even flinch. Man... my heart lost a few beats that day. That kinda driving lasted for like 30 minutes. I was SO glad when it was over. The only comment I could give to my host brother was `wow, your father can REALLY drive` and he`s like, `yeah, and not even ONE accident`.... wow...

I keep on reminding myself, when I feel like bragging about my driving skillz in Japan.... DON`T

2 comments:

Eddie said...

you are right Nazrul,
I had the same experience in Hiroshima with my host father.
That night he rushed me to Hiroshima station to send me back to Kyoto ( Shinkasen ) ..we were pretty late after attending a party. It will take about 30 minutes for usual journey, but that night he made it in 15 minutes. ..fuh I nearly lost my breath that night in his CRV.
But.. I often see Japanese having problem with side parking !!

Friction said...

Maybe we can have our Host Father`s race. Betcha 1000yen that mine can definiely beat yours. It`d be close though. Definitely cool to watch.

Related Posts with Thumbnails